- Complex Litigation
- Family Law
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- Civil Litigation
- Stalking/Restraining Orders
- Estate Planning
Marijuana Attorney Legal Advice “Insurance” Corporate Counsel Package
The cannabis industry is the Wild West of entrepreneurship. It contains vast plains of opportunity for expansion and market acquisition. Like the Wild West, it also has dangers around every bend in the trail: rogue law enforcement, bandits, etc.
Most if not all of the canna-businesses that we have advised have not adequately budgeted for legal fees or planned for the worst-case scenarios. Here are some examples of legal advice that you may need at some point:
1. Regulatory compliance advice.
2. Defense of a wrongfully initiated OLCC complaint.
3. Law enforcement’s warrantless search request.
4. Criminal investigations or prosecutions for false accusations of shipping product across state lines.
5. Marijuana DUIIs.
6. Employee/human resources advice.
7. Contract negotiations.
8. Breach of contract or breach of fiduciary duty business disputes and litigation.
9. Demand letters and collections on accounts receivable.
An example of a free agreement is as follows: For $X/month you could receive one free hour consult every other month about your business and a second hour of work for $X discount. Our attorneys regularly bill substantially more, so this is quite the risk mitigation. You are also allowed two demand letters per year. You also are signed up for our exclusive email updates in cannabis-related business and legal news.
If you or any of your employees are charged with a business-related crime, we will appear at your/their arraignment in person if within 100 miles of Eugene or Portland or by phone if there is no conflict of interest. Other details and exclusions would apply. You may also have access to attorney text messaging in case of emergencies.
In the event you need litigation or other complex work done (or additional follow-ups from the demand letter or free consult or criminal defense), a first chunk of legal fees is discounted. The second chunk of fees is discounted a little less and the remaining legal fees are discounted a little less, which can be a huge discount in major litigation. We also offer exclusive flat fee discounts to you not available to other clients on many types of cases. You will get to pick from the flat fee or discounted hourly rates in all cases.
You will be on an email newsletter with industry updates. You will receive one site visit and premises inspection a year with legal and security advice.
You also get one two-hour presentation a year at your business about legal topics of interest to your business, often with non-lawyer expert guest speakers.
If we have a conflict of interest, you will either be refunded that year’s payments or, you will be referred to another lawyer who will honor the same or substantially similar fee agreement that is requested.
Is there other perks your business needs? Make a suggestion to us. Other restrictions apply, i.e., conflict checks, we have to want to work together (i.e., get along and like each other), termination of representation, we can’t represent one partner against another for conflict reasons, etc. For instance, if a dispensary client has a conflict with a wholesaler client, we cannot be involved and will have to refer each of you out or work out an alternative arrangement set forth in greater detail in the fee agreement.
“Insurance” is in quotes because this isn’t truly insurance. It’s an attorney on “retainer.” But you get the metaphor. It’s essentially a flat fee legal contract for specific specified items.
To get more details and to apply to be a client, please contact us to see the attorney fee agreement or discuss in further detail. Call 541-338-9111 to speak to managing partner Mike Arnold.
Managing Partner & Chief Litigation Strategist
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Phone: (541) 338-9111
Fax: (541) 338-9101
E-mail: E-mail Me
Mike Arnold is experienced in jury trials and complex criminal and civil litigation involving multiple parties and witnesses, voluminous discovery, expert witnesses, and high stakes.
Oregon Marijuana Legal Risk Management Retainer Plan Program Summary
1. Cost: $99/month (subject to change for new clients and increases after the term for current clients). Discounts available: $1089/year (one month free); $2000/two years (save $376); $4000 for five years (save $1940). Attorney fees for additional work is frozen at the contract term you sign up for. In other words, you will not have an increase in hourly rate as they increase year after year.
2. Free one hour of operating agreement review and one hour consult regarding the same.
3. Start-up packages available (free operating agreement template or discounted attorney rates).
4. 1 free hour consult every other month about your business.
5. 2nd hour of work for 75% off. Our attorneys regularly bill up to $450/hour, so this is quite the risk mitigation.
6. 2 demand letters per year.
7. Free criminal arraignment. If you are charged with a business-related crime, we will appear at you/their arraignment in person if within 100 miles of Eugene or Portland or by phone.
8. Access to attorney text messaging in case of emergencies.
9. Complex litigation mitigation package: In the event you need litigation or other complex work done. Your first $5000 of legal fees is discounted by 50%. The next $5000 is discounted at 25% and the remaining legal fees are discounted 10%, which can be a huge discount in major litigation. Certain complex issues cannot be assisted with and are excluded on a case by case basis at the discretion of the attorney (i.e., securities, transnational work that we don’t regularly handle, etc.).
10. Exclusive flat fee discounts available. We will also give exclusive flat fee discounts to you not available to other clients. You will get to pick from the flat fee or discounted hourly rates.
11. Email newsletter with relevant industry updates. You will be on an email newsletter with industry updates.
12. One site visit and premises inspection per year with legal and security advice.
13. You also get one two-hour presentation a year at your business about legal topics of interest to your business, often with non-lawyer expert guest speakers.
14. HR advice at a discount.
15. Discounted Intellectual Property (IP) Advice
16. In areas requiring specialized knowledge, we will work to help retain a lawyer outside our firm to advise in conjunction with us and supervise that lawyer to help maintain cost overruns.
While users, growers and dispensaries of marijuana who comply with Oregon’s marijuana laws are protected from state criminal prosecution, their activities remain illegal under the Federal Controlled Substances Act and other related federal statutes.